Former Deans and Rectors
There have been numerous Deans of Nova Scotia since 1864, but only some of them have born the title. The remaining were Bishops who, for various reasons, did not appoint Deans.
The Very Rev. William Bullock (1864–1874)
Dean Bullock came to Newfoundland as a missionary in 1822 having formerly been in the Royal Navy. He moved to Digby, NS in 1841 and became Curate of St. Paul’s in Halifax in 1847. In 1858 he was appointed the first rector of the Parish of St. Luke’s and in 1864, when Bishop Binney removed his chair from St. Paul’s to St. Luke’s, William Bullock was appointed first Dean of Nova Scotia. While still in Newfoundland, Dean Bullock wrote the hymn “We love the place, O God”, which was selected as the official hymn of the cathedral centennial celebrations in 2010. He and his wife had 10 children, one of whom, Reverend Heber Bullock, gave the shortest sermon ever delivered at the cathedral. Heber began, “As you all know, the Battle of Waterloo was fought on a Sunday!” and then was interrupted by the twelve o’clock gun. It was understood that soldiers of the garrison attending church should not be late for the noonday meal, so he promptly ended the sermon.
Bishop Hibbert Binney (1875–1887)
The Very Rev. Edwin Gilpin B.A. (1889–1906)
Edwin Gilpin B.A. was born in Aylesford, Nova Scotia and became principal of The Halifax Grammar School. When William Bullock was made Dean, Edwin Gilpin was made a Canon of St. Luke’s. He subsequently was appointed Archdeacon and in 1889 became Dean of Nova Scotia. He was the last priest to wear his cassock on the streets of Halifax. For some years, he was Chancellor of King’s College, Windsor and Examining Chaplain to the Bishop.
The Very Rev. Edward Patrick Crawford M.A. (1907–1912)
This former Dean spent the first 23 years of his ministry in Ontario where he was born. In 1892 he became the Rector of St. Luke’s Church and in 1907 succeeded the late Dean Gilpin. After it was decided, by higher authority, that the congregations of St. Luke’s Pro-Cathedral (destroyed by fire in 1905), St. Alban’s and St. Stephen’s should combine to form a congregation for The Cathedral Church of All Saints, Dean Crawford worked unselfishly to counsel his parishioners to give up their parish. During 1912, J.P.D. Llwyd succeeded Dean Crawford as Rector of the cathedral, but not as Dean. However in December, 1912, just as he was about to perform a baptism, Dean Crawford collapsed and died. Dean Crawford was fond of music and composed the tunes “Ottawa”, “Jehovah Nissi” and “Brockville”.
The Very Rev. John Plummer Derwent Llwyd D.D. (1913–1933)
John Llwyd came to Canada from England as a boy, was educated at Trinity College in Toronto and also studied at Oxford and in Berlin. He was an erudite preacher and lecturer. He died as a result of complications from being struck by a car on New Year’s Day in 1933.
The Very Rev. Arthur Francis Cecil Whalley
M.A., D.D. (1933–1942)
Dean Walley came to the Diocese from Ottawa after serving in Kingston and Brockville on the recommendation of Archbishop Worrell. He became Chaplain to The Princess Louise Fusiliers during his tenure. He was unwell during his last two years as Dean and when he died, his ashes were placed in the north wall of St. Stephen’s Chapel.
Archbishop John HacKenley (Bishop) (1942-1943)
Archbishop G.F. Kingston (Bishop) (1944–1950)
Bishop R.H. Waterman (Bishop) (1950–1952)
William Wallace Davis
The Very Rev. Edward Brenton Nicol Cochran D.D. (1958-1979)
The first native Nova Scotian since Dean Gilpin’s time, Rev. Cochran served in various parishes in Nova Scotia before becoming Dean. He was well versed in the affairs of the Diocese and The Canadian Church as a whole and could speak on them with clarity. He was active in community life, being a Free Mason and president of both The St George’s Society and The Royal Nova Scotia Historical Society. Dean Cochran was known to chair a meeting with great skill, grace and humour and served on many church committees at all levels including Clerical secretary of General Synod.
The Very Rev. J. Austin Munroe D.D. (1979-1996)
Born in Dartmouth, NS, Dean Munroe wanted to be a priest from his early days. He graduated form the University of King’s College and was ordained in 1955. He served in Rawdon, Aylesford-Berwick, Wolfville and Lunenburg prior to his appointment as Dean. Under his guidance, substantial restoration work took place at the cathedral. In addition, he initiated the Needlepoint Project and was responsible for the stained glass memorial window over the west doors and the construction of the Columbarium. He chaired the Planning Committee for the Bishop Inglis Bicentennial in 1987 and served as President of the Board at the Atlantic School of Theology. He was also chair of the Christian Festival III, which drew thousands of Christians from around the world to Halifax in August 1990 for four days of workshops and special events. In 1983 he was inducted into the Most Venerable Order of the Hospital of St. John of Jerusalem. He passed away in July 2005 after a brief illness. One of Dean Munroe’s most valuable and popular assets was his wife, Verna, a teacher and energetic worker in numerous church and community projects.
The Very Rev. Glen R. Burgomaster (1997–2006)
Dean Burgomaster, born in Peterborough, Ontario began a long history of ordained ministry in 1975 as Deacon in Charge of the Parish of Coxheath in Nova Scotia. He subsequently ministered in the Dioceses of Qu’Appelle, Athabasca, Calgary, Toronto and Caledonia where he was influenced by the culture of First Nations people. He brought an extroverted, energetic personality to his ministry. Dean Burgomaster and his wife, Jennifer, created an environment of warm hospitality at the Deanery. They connected with local university students on a regular basis and offered their culinary expertise to many guests. In addition, he and Jennifer, along with a handful of parishioners, were first responders on September 29, 2003 when Hurricane Juan blew the roof off the transept. Their quick thinking resulted in the preservation of much of the carved wood and other objects. Subsequent restoration was under the direction of Dean Burgomaster whose vision resulted in a beautiful slate floor and the replacement of pews with chairs.
The Very Rev. Paul Smith (2008–present)
Information on Deans Bullock to Cochran was taken from a paper delivered before The Cathedral Women’s League by Hastings Wainwright (4 February 1985), entitled The Deans of Nova Scotia 1864–1985