The Gospel spurs us to compassionate service, advocacy, and justice. Approaches to Outreach incorporate utilizing all our resources – our time, talents, skills, connections, passions, abilities, finances, and so forth as we are able. If you would like to be involved with Outreach intitiaves of the Cathedral Church or you have ideas to share please connect with Gillian Doucet Campbell, Engagement Leader.
Some of the ways we engage in community through the Cathedral Church:
1. Volunteer with others to prepare meals on a Saturday afternoon for St. George’s Anglican Church Soup Kitchen or for the Adopt-a-Meal program with Shelter Nova Scotia. Or, from the comfort of your own kitchen, prepare Shepherd's Pie or Creamy Beef and Noodle Casserole for 25-30 people and drop it off to Brunswick Street Mission.
2. Donate non-perishable food items to the Ask Box for donation to St. Mark’s Anglican Church Food Bank.
3. Bring in unwanted eyeglasses for donation to the CNIB.
4. Provide children’s new winter boots and gently used winter clothing for all ages to the Ask Box to be donated to the Parker Street Food and Furniture Bank.
5. Donate new winter hats and gloves to the Ask Box for Shelter Nova Scotia. 6. Volunteer with others to supply apartment packages to Shelter Nova Scotia for their ‘Move Out’ program that aids people to move from a shelter to independent living.
7. Help fill Christmas boxes for the Mission to Seafarers in November.
8. Provide items for Christmas stockings for families in December.
9. Place supplies for infants such as baby food, size 3 diapers & up, wipes, etc. in the box in the nursery to support young parents in the Phoenix Center for Youth Parents’ Support Program.
10. Through your financial donations to the Cathedral Church, you support community organizations including;
- Shelter Nova Scotia
- Brunswick Street Mission
- Welcome Housing
- Spencer House
- Mission to Seafarers
- Out of the Cold
- St. George’s YouthNet
- St. George's Soup Kitchen
- Sponsorship of refugees
- Primate’s World Relief and Development Fund (PWRDF)
These organizations operate throughout our region and beyond. Each one implements unique mandates in response to the needs of individuals and families. We trust these organizations as the experts that they are and value what they can accomplish with the financial gifts from the Cathedral Church, as well as financial gifts of others, including individuals, foundations, businesses, and various levels of governments. Together we are making a difference in the lives of many people both near and far.