The Gospel spurs us to compassionate service, advocacy, and justice. Approaches to Outreach incorporate utilizing all our resources – our time, talents, skills, connections, passions, abilities, finances, and so forth as we are able. If you would like to be involved with Outreach intitiaves of the Cathedral Church or you have ideas to share please connect with Gillian Doucet Campbell, Engagement Leader. She can be reached by email here.
Some of the ways we engage in community through the Cathedral Church:
- People of all ages prepare meals together (think kitchen party with a task) or individually and then some serve these prepared meals at St. George’s Soup Kitchen - want to join a meal prep team? Contact Deacon Heather MacEachern by email here
- We gather non-perishable food items for St. Mark’s Food Bank and St. George's Pantry
- We gather items needed by people experiencing homelessness and unstable housing or those moving from a shelter to a home and have nothing; we provide these items to Shelter Nova Scotia and Welcome Housing Support Services
- We assemble and deliver gift bags at Christmas to various individuals and families in the local area as well as to frontline workers working in various shelters
- We support refugees in coming to Canada and helping them settle once they arrive. We do this through financial resources, providing needed items to set up a home, and offering our time and skills in helping them to navigate the paperwork once landed as they find schools for their children or themselves, jobs, healthcare, driver’s licence, etc.
- We provide unrestricted financial donations to many of the organizations listed below.
These organizations operate throughout our region and beyond. Each one implements unique mandates in response to the needs of individuals and families. We trust these organizations as the experts that they are and value what they can accomplish with the financial gifts from the Cathedral Church, as well as financial gifts of others, including individuals, foundations, businesses, and various levels of governments. Together we are making a difference in the lives of many people both near and far.