During the episcopate of Bishop Hibbert Binney (1851-1887) a movement began for the erection of a cathedral. The bishop hoped the wooden St. Luke's pro-cathedral, erected in 1845, would be replaced by a stone building. Bishop Binney’s father-in-law, William Blowers Bliss, donated a site for the cathedral on Robie Street at the head of Spring Garden Road. Binney built St. Stephen's Chapel, which he hoped would become the church hall for the planned stone cathedral. Binney saw to the laying of a cornerstone on August 12th but died shortly afterwards. Neither his successor, Bishop Frederick Courtney, nor Courtney’s successor, Bishop Clarendon Worrell found themselves enthusiastic to proceed.